12/1/09

The Build pt. 3

So I'm going to try and wrap this up as I think I've been a bit long winded and I also want to move onto some other exciting things to talk about.

I've got my drums, bass and synth line going, I need to orgainze everything for the different parts of the track, sequence the parts out and then do some mixing to get even better levels (this is where concentrating on levels from the beginning comes in very handy - safes you a LOT of time and effort trying to get things right at the end). I have no real formula yet for my tracks, I try and keep things locked onto the 4/8/16/32 bar change ups (either for sections or breaks of the track). I didn't have a lot of different parts for this track so I knew it was going to be a bit tracky (nothing wrong with that if done correctly). Needless to say, I put the sequence together pretty quick and was somewhat happy with it.

After walking away and coming back to the mix, I really did not like how the bass was sounding or sitting in the mix - so I decided to change the sound that I was using for the bass. This can be a problem that I've heard affectionately reffered to as "the dreaded loop monster". This phenomenon happens when you are working on looped based music and start to listen to the same loop(s) for an extended period of time. You tend to convince yourself that it sounds good, only to find out after a break that the loop I've been working on/listening to sucks. So this is always on the back of my mind when making tracks and I'm sure to always come back after a few hours of rest to ensure my material isn't crap!

I was glad to take a break and find that the bass was not what I was looking for. Turned out the patch I picked the second time for the bass fit really nicely into the mix. That pretty much concludes this build post. I'm going to do another one, except a little more more "real time" and less wordy. I'll stick to the juicey facts and make sure to post examples.

That's it for this build, if you've made it through all these build posts, I commend you as they are fairly long and kind of scattered!

Thanks for reading, until next time check out some of my new track on soundcloud.

No comments: