1/6/10

Rediscovering the Old

HAPPY NEW YEAR Everyone!! Hope 2010 is the best yet.

So I went on a track spending spree over xmas, mainly older Detroit stuff that I never thought would make it to mp3. The classic No Ufo's and Time, Space Transmat from Model 500 from *1985*!!! Then there's the classic Big Fun (the Magic Juan remix) which is another timeless classic for me. Classic, timeless techno from the fore-fathers! And I haven't mentioned some of the earlier Cybotron stuff or the Transmat stuff. I'll be looking for these next!!

Then there was some Rob Hood stuff. A lot of people really look to Rob Hood as the first guy in Detroit to can the minimal sound and his Minimal Nation Album defines that sound to a tee.... Minimal, driving, hypnotic and above all Detroit!! For some reason these tracks just hit the all the right strings for me, and I did hear a lot of these tracks when going to parties in Detroit in the mid-90's. I also picked up some F.U.S.E. tracks - I can clearly remember picking up Dimension Intrusion in the early 90's. That was probably one of the CD's that really got me into techno. And the tracks still sound fresh today!!

Someone I particularly is a DJ by the name of Twonz - a DJ from Detroit who championed the Detroit sound - he was known as the techno terrorist before it was socially unacceptable to use the word terrorist. His mix tape, Don't F*ck With Detroit was playing on my stereo pretty much constantly for 2 years. An awesome mix that really highlights what Detroit means to me.

Very happy to reacquaint myself with music that started it all for me. This also has me rediscovering my vinyl collection, which has some gems that I had totally forgotten about. Makes me want to play records out again!

1 comment:

Gingham Skies said...

And then you made me a fabulous mix with all my fav old skool trax. The perfect husband.